Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Healthy Living Habit: #1

We all strive to be the healthiest we can be and we know the rules to get there, but its always great to stop and see some reminders (and maybe get a little new inspiration) to stay healthy. Which is why, I'm so excited to start this series!   Over the next several weeks, I'd like to go through the 10 Habits of Healthy Families from Health.com adding my own little twist to each habit.  Between my research and thought to write each post, hopefully all of us will gain new inspiration to stay on track.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love to eat chips and candy, have lazy days on the couch and can hang with the best of them when it comes to Diet Coke. I am by no means the ultimate healthy living guide. I am just a Momma Goose doing my best to raise happy, healthy goslings!  I hope you enjoy this series.

Healthy Living Habit #1:  Make Healthy Living a Team Approach

Healthy living can sometimes be a battle.  There are advertisers, fast food chains and the couch throwing attack bombs into your plan.  Sometimes it can just be easier and faster to live an unhealthy lifestyle than to fight to stay on track.  Like in Iraq or Afghanistan, the war cannot be won by an individual soldier. (I know it's a little dramatic!)  It takes team effort to win!

You will be more successful if everyone in your household is a participating member of the team.  In our case, the age of our goslings means that the majority of responsibility for our team rests with me and Daddy Goose - our team's co-captains.  Do you have a captain of your team?

As a stay-at-home momma and co-captain of our team, I have plenty of opportunities to train my goslings into healthy living.  First, I'm trying to be a good role model by choosing the right foods and not giving in to my urge to eat a popsicle (or something similar) for breakfast.  Brother Goose and I love to walk through the produce aisles and pick out fruit and vegetables.  As a way of keeping him involved I let him pick fruit/veggies out, count them and bag them up.

Second, I am hoping to show good leadership to my gaggle/teammates through my exercise habits, by doing things such as a 1/2 marathon, taking them on walks or outings to the park.  My hope is that I am instilling in my goslings that exercise can be fun and that it's a great way to be together.

Eating habits and an active life are learned behaviors; they’re not always intuitive. What our goslings learn to eat and the physical activity levels they learn at home now, will stick with them well into adulthood. 

So, get your team rallied and cheer each other on.  Healthy living is a team effort!

Momma Goose

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you ~ leave me a comment!

~ Momma Goose