Saturday, May 19, 2012

I think I might be crazy...

After having Baby Goose, I needed something to get me motivated to exercise again. In my infinite wisdom I  signed myself up to do the California Classic Weekend 1/2 Marathon.  A couple of months ago this all sounded great, but as race day closes in on me, I'm thinking I might have been wrong.  Tomorrow, Sunday, May 20th is the big day.

From the looks of the website, it sounds like it is going to be a fun event.  We start at Chuckchansi Park in downtown Fresno, head to the Fresno Chaffee Zoo, to "run" with the animals and then go back to the baseball park where we will be running down the 3rd baseline to finish the race by stepping on home plate.  All along the route there are going to be bands playing to keep us pumped up and moving along.  As an added bonus there will be a beer garden.  Doesn't all of this make you want to run out and sign up?  It did for me!

Now, lets clear something up...I am by no means a runner!  I am at my very best a fast walker/very slow jogger.  So, while there might be a few thousand people running this event, I WILL NOT BE ONE OF THEM!  I like to slowly enjoy the sights, sounds and the fresh air.

I am, however, what I've termed a "charity jogger."  Our family loves to participate in walk-a-thons all in the name of celebrating life or fighting diseases.  In fact, we've done the Susan G. Komen, Race for the Cure here in Fresno since its inception in 1999.  This 1/2 marathon is no exception.  I've teamed up with Medical Ministries International's M*A*S*H training team to train for the run. We've done group runs for the last 10 weeks, (starting at only three miles and finishing up with 12) while raising money to send medical supplies to less advantaged hospitals and clinics around the world.  Thank you to those who donated!

In truth, I am excited about the event.  Its been a long time since I did something like this and I feel like I'm up for the challenge.  I definitely think I'm crazy for signing up to do this, but it's that good kind of crazy.  Who knows, maybe I'll do the Two Cities Marathon in November.

If you're free on Sunday come out and find me on the route!

Momma Goose

1 comment:

  1. I DID IT! Check out some pictures from the event, here: http://mommagooseandgaggle.blogspot.com/2012/05/mellow-monday-chicken-caesar-sandwiches.html

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you ~ leave me a comment!

~ Momma Goose