Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Toddler Tuesday: I'm not tired, Momma!

Brother Goose (4) has decided that taking a nap everyday just isn't for him anymore. He's at the stage in life where there are too many cool things he might miss out on if he sleeps and well, "I'm not tired, Momma" he says.  Ugh, this Momma Goose begs to differ.  Between the whining, the tears and the yawns, you're definitely tired....and frankly, so am I!

We pretty much always do "Quiet Time" and some days he forgets how uncool it is to take a nap and will fall asleep.  However, on those days he has a really hard time winding down at night and will lay in bed chatting with his stuffed animals until 10:00 p.m.

As stay at home mommas we love those blissful 1-2 hours during the day where we can clean house, pay bills or maybe even go to the bathroom without little eyes staring back at you.  But, what do you do when the days of napping end?  I've had friends tell me that maybe I should move his nap time up or wake him after only 30-45 minutes. We've tried, neither of those things work.  He's not really tired until around 2:00 p.m. or 3:00 p.m. and once he is asleep, waking him up does more harm to his attitude than if I just let him skip the nap altogether.

I know, I know, I'm lucky that Brother Goose has kept up his napping this long.  Plus we are still getting 1-3 naps in per week.  It might just be time to throw in the towel and give in. My philosophy now is: If he gets a nap, great!  If he doesn't get a nap, he'll be in bed at 7:00 p.m. instead of 8:00 p.m.  Even without a nap, he's generally sleeps 10-12 hours in each 24 hour period, which is the recommendation for his age group.
Life with children is about rolling with the punches and adapting to change.  This is just one of those changes in life!  Albeit, one I have dreaded.  By the way, when does napping become cool again? I can't remember, but Daddy Goose and I love to take naps!

When did your child(ren) give up napping? 

Momma Goose

3 comments:

  1. Mavreck still naps..especially on preschool days...however its no longer called taking a nap...its now, "Momma, I'm gonna take a little snooze". Hey whatever works!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right...whatever works, works for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Demonstrates that a copy of an original document is a true copy , in case wherein an individual is planning to go abroad, the individual's original documents need to be attested and to attest the same, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), Government of India (GOI), has given the power to various General Administrative Departments, State Home Departments, Higher Education Department or Sub-Divisional Magistrate, New Delhi, etc.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you ~ leave me a comment!

~ Momma Goose