Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Practical Christianity: Gossip

Ephesians 4:29 reads:  "Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear."

I will be the first to admit, I've gossiped.  I've talked about other people and I've asked questions to get information that frankly, was not my business.  Let's face it, women are infamous for gossip.  (However, I've met several men that loved a juicy story.) This is not something that I'm excited to admit.  I am excited to share that I have been working really hard towards changing that habit.

Recently, I was told about someone else gossiping about me.  (Really?  I didn't think there was much in my life to talk about.)  At first I was angry. Then I was really hurt. Both emotions made me want to lash out towards the gossiper. What good would that have done?  Now it just reinforces to me why I decided the change the habit.

What is gossip?  Ephesians has it right, "corrupting talk."  Dictionary.com defines corrupt as "to destroy the integrity of."  As Christians As people, we should work to build each other up, not destroy each other.  Our lives shouldn't be about how someone else gets his/her money or what "they've" been doing lately, what "their" kids are doing wrong, or who's marriage isn't working.  Why does it matter to you or me?  What matters is what is going on in YOUR OWN life.

Ephesians 4:29 helped me create a new rule of thumb:  Is the story I'm about to tell, MY STORY to tell?  If not, stop talking.  If yes, am I telling the story to build someone up or to give grace to those who hear?

The best part about not gossiping, I feel better about myself.  It was just one of those surprise, yet awesome, side effects.  I'm not worried that "people" will find out I was talking about them, I'm not comparing my life to any one else's and my conversations with my friends are positive and encouraging.

Now, don't get me wrong, I will probably mess this up.  I am only human, but I WILL NOT GIVE UP.  By reading Ephesians 4:29 and by surrounding myself with like minded people it is a possible task.  My goal is to be a little light in the world of positive talk.  Join me and we can be as bright as the sun!

Momma Goose






No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you ~ leave me a comment!

~ Momma Goose