Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Practical Christianity: Matthew 6:6

How many times a day do you pray?  Once?  Twice?  Fifty-two?  I'm sure I probably pray at least every couple of minutes about my goslings.  Whether its for patience or prayer of praise due to good behavior or because I'm praying for their health and restoration.  Other days I just pray that we are raising them to be people we will be proud of.   Most of my prayers are in the kitchen, the car or the living room, but almost always in front of my goslings.

Matthew 6:6 reads:
"But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret.  And your Father who sees in secret will reward you."

When was the last time you went into your room and shut the door to pray?  The last time I was in my room with the door closed there was a little voice on the other side saying, "Momma?  What are you doing?  When are you coming out?"  Asking not just once, but probably two or three times.   Although if he wasn't at the door, my mind is racing about why its so quiet in the other room.  Oh, how quickly your mind wanders when distractions abound.

Don't get me wrong, there have been times when I've asked my goslings for a few minutes to pray.  Amazingly, each time I've asked they have both been very patient and allowed me the quiet time.  Now whether it was because they could see I was at the end of my rope or God intervened and gave them the strength to stay away, I don't know.  Either way, the end result of my prayer time was a better day for all involved.

Is Matthew 6:6 a great way to pray, YES!  Is Matthew 6:6 the only way to pray, NO!  I believe that God listens and rewards you for prayer whether it is in secret or in public.  Prayer is prayer no matter where, when, why or how it is. 

Momma Goose

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you ~ leave me a comment!

~ Momma Goose