Monday, November 12, 2012

Mellow Monday & Menu Plan



It is turning out to be a great Mellow Monday in our house. While I thoroughly enjoyed my 31 Day Challenge, I am excited to getting back to sharing slow cooker recipes on Mondays.

Our weather has finally changed and we enjoyed our first fire of the season over the weekend. Daddy Goose loves to build fires and I love the warmth and ambiance it provides our home.

With the weather changing, it is time for hearty, warm-me-up, comfort me kind of dishes. I heart stew! It ALWAYS makes me feel better. Even when I’m not feeling all that bad. Originally I found this stew on Ziplist, but when I got into it I found that I needed a smoker, which I don't have. So, I had to improvise and make it fit my tools and capabilities.

Slow-Cooker Beef & Black Bean Stew

Ingredients:

3-4 lbs of beef stew meat
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion
2 cloves of minced garlic
4 cans of black beans (15 ounces each)

Instructions:
As always - start by filling your sink with hot water and dish soap so that you can just plop your used dishes into the sink once you're done with them. It makes for easy clean up.


Heat olive oil in skillet. Season beef, with salt and pepper. Drag pieces through a bowl of flour until  lightly covered. Brown in warmed pan.

While beef is browning, mince garlic and chop onion. I use this tool:


If you don't have one...get one...it makes cutting onions tear-less! I love it and use it for everything.

Once meat is browned, place into slow-cooker along with onions and garlic. Take one can of black beans and puree. Add-in the pureed black beans as well as the other three cans. Add in all seasonings. Cook for 4-6 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low. (This is the time frame for my slow cooker, yours may be different. Use your judgment.) Serve with sour cream, cheddar cheese and other condiments you'd like.

Enjoy!

I usually have helpers in the kitchen, but today this sweet Lil’ Miss was looking especially cute while she was “helping!”


Always ~ Momma Goose

Here's what we're eating the rest of the week.



Monday: Slow Cooker Beef & Black Bean Stew
Tuesday: Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers (I'm using green chilies instead of jalapenos.)
Wednesday: Leftovers
Thursday: Pizza
Friday: Date Night (Woo-hoo!)
Saturday: Date Night #2! (Double Woo-hoo!)
Sunday: Football Food - Meatball Subs

Do you like to menu plan? It helps me to stay on budget, stay on track with food choices and frankly, just makes life easier. If you'd like to see more menu plans, head over to OrgJunkie.com.

What are you eating this week?

1 comment:

  1. Today I am having a mellow monday, cooking your Turkey Corn Chili crock pot recipe. It is our favorite!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you ~ leave me a comment!

~ Momma Goose