Monday, October 8, 2012

31 Days - Day 8

My usual post on Mondays is about our Mellow Monday, including a slow cooker recipe and my menu plan for the week.  It's our usual day to stay in pajamas, catch up on missed weekend chores and hopefully catch an extra nap.  Due to my 31 Day Challenge, I've decided to forego the regular Mellow Monday recipe post and continue to concentrate on my challenge.


Did you know that there is actually some research that suggests that cancer can be prevented and/or slowed based on your diet?  While I am a firm believer that your body will gives you accurate responses based on your food choices, but whether cancer can be prevented based on what you eat is a hard one to swallow.  (Har, har, har!)

What kind of foods should I or shouldn't I be eating you ask.  There are plenty of websites, doctors and researchers out there who will give you many different answers.  Here is what I've come up with as most common in their findings:

  1. Fiber.  (Bring out that oatmeal bowl every morning.)
  2. Omega 3s.  Foods such as fatty fish, white chia seeds, flaxseed and walnuts. (Add some of these Omega-3s to your morning oatmeal...two birds one stone kind of effect.)
  3. Cruciferous Vegetables.  Arugula, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, brussels sprouts, bok choy and kale.  (All very delicious, right? - here's a recipe that actually makes brussels sprouts look yummy.)
  4. Folate.  Good sources include lentils, beans, certain fruits, leafy greens and fortified cereals.  (Here's an easy recipe to prepare a Lentil Quinoa Salad.)
How many of those things do you have in your daily diet now?  Now that you know they can help prevent breast cancer, how many of you will be adding them?

Always ~ Momma Goose

Go to Day 9.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you ~ leave me a comment!

~ Momma Goose