Monday, July 9, 2012

Mellow Monday: Creamy Summer Vegetable Stew

Happy Mellow Monday, all!

It always amazes me how quickly time goes.  Since I started Momma Goose & Gaggle, time has gone even more quickly.  It seems as though I was just writing a Mellow Monday post.  Today is going to be a great day.  Brother Goose, Baby Goose and I will be working on laundry, baking yummy S'mores Muffins, making chocolate covered frozen bananas and hopefully spending a lot of time cooling down in our "pool."

I was perusing Facebook & Twitter last night and noticed a lot of you spent yesterday doing chores and/or running around having fun.  I hope that you change your pace a little today, enjoy a slow cooked stew and have a Mellow Monday.

Today's slow cooker meal comes from Family Circle.  They have a fantastic website!  I've found many things there that have helped me along the way as a wife and momma.  From food to style, they have it all!

Creamy Summer Vegetable Stew


Ingredients
  • 8 ounces frozen pearl onions
  • 2 cups baby carrots, halved
  • 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
  • 1/2 cup vegetable broth
  • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons herbes de Provence
  • 1/2 pound zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch half-moons
  • 1 15 1/2 ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 1/2 cup light cream
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
  • 2 tablespoons grated Asiago cheese
  • 2 cups cooked white rice (optional)
Instructions

Place onions, carrots, corn, broth, vinegar and 1-1/2 teaspoons herbes de Provence in slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 3 hours.

Stir in zucchini and chickpeas; cook for 45 minutes. In a small bowl, stir together cream, cornstarch, salt, pepper and remaining 1/2 teaspoon herbes de Provence; set aside.

Stir in cream mixture and tomatoes and cook an additional 15 minutes or until thickened. Sprinkle with Asiago and serve with rice, if desired.


Over the weekend, I had a chance to stop by my favorite strawberry stand. They have always had THE best strawberries, but now they are selling vegetables, too! I love farmers' markets, but there isn't one where I live...yet...so this stand is the next best thing! I bought baby tomatoes, they are perfection! I cannot wait to try out more of their veggies

What are you doing today?  Share your Mellow Monday activities with me!

Momma Goose

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you ~ leave me a comment!

~ Momma Goose