Monday, July 30, 2012

Mellow Monday: Chicken Taco Chili

I'm baack!!! :)  Did you miss me?  Wait, wait...don't answer that!  I am just going to go on with the assumption that you missed me last week and are super excited to see my email/post.

After two weeks of camping with our goslings, grandparents, brother/sister in-law, our bestest friend and his girl, plus the numerous visitors, I am soo ready for MELLOW MONDAY!  Yet, today marks the beginning of a very busy week that leads into the first week of school!  Where did our summer go?

I am so excited to share with you the activities of our vacation, but that will have to wait.  We have much more important things to discuss.  Dinner for tonight!  I will be relying heavily on my slow cooker this week.  I pulled today's recipe comes from Ziplist.com, but they pulled it from Ginna's Skinny Recipes at Skinnytaste.com.  I've used many of her recipes and love her site.  Make sure you check it out.  I will be making a little extra so that I can use the leftover meat for a meal the following night.

Crock Pot Chicken Taco Chili


Ingredients:
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 16-oz can black beans
  • 1 16-oz can kidney beans
  • 1 8-oz can tomato sauce
  • 10 oz package frozen corn kernels
  • 2 14.5-oz cans diced tomatoes w/chilies
  • 1 packet taco seasoning
  • 1 tbsp cumin
  • 1 tbsp chili powder
  • 24 oz (3-4) boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • chili peppers, chopped (optional)
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Directions:

Combine beans, onion, chili peppers, corn, tomato sauce, cumin, chili powder and taco seasoning in a slow cooker. Place chicken on top and cover. Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours. Half hour before serving, remove chicken and shred. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in. Top with fresh cilantro. Also try it with low fat cheese and sour cream.

Enjoy this yummy meal!  Check out below how I'm using my leftovers.


I'm sure I've mentioned before that I like to menu plan.  I follow several other bloggers who do the same, such as OrgJunkie.com.  I love looking at what others are eating to gain ideas, but mostly drool over what I could be eating.  I thought this week, I'd share with you what is on my meal plan.  Hopefully, you'll be able to gain some ideas...and maybe even drool a little.

Monday:  Crockpot Chicken Taco Chili
Tuesday:  Chicken Chili Taco Pockets - (Stuffing leftovers from chicken chili and into crescent rolls, serving with sour cream and guacamole)
Wednesday: Crockpot Beer Chicken
Thursday:  Crockpot Chili Dogs
Friday:  Guacamole Burgers (BBQ'ing hamburgers and adding guacamole)
Saturday:  Bacon Guacamole Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Sunday:  Lake day - Leftovers

Do you like to menu plan?  It helps me to stay on budget, stay on track with food choices and frankly, just makes life easier.  If you'd like to see more menu plans, head over to OrgJunkie.com.

Always - Momma Goose

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you ~ leave me a comment!

~ Momma Goose