Oh, do I love the turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and sweets on our Thanksgiving table. Can't you just taste it now? My mouth drools with anticipation.
With only a few hours left until the table is set and the turkey is carved, its time to create a plan to stay on track with your food choices at this year's holiday party.
I am a firm believer in "cheat" days and/or "cheat" meals. I usually cheat on vacation, Saturday mornings at our family breakfast, Sunday dinners and most definitely at Thanksgiving dinner. If you don't enjoy your favorite foods, whatever diet you are on will eventually fail you. It's one of the many reasons I heart Weight Watchers. They've got it right, its not what you eat, but how much and how often you eat it.
Even if you're going to be "cheating" on Thanksgiving, you should make a plan and stick to it, so you don't go overboard. Here are a few survival thoughts:
- Eat breakfast!!! Don't skip this meal thinking that you'll consume less calories. It just isn't so. You'll end up eating more at the dinner table and regretting it. (Same goes for lunch if your holiday meal isn't until evening.)
- Don't skip your exercise routine just because its a holiday. I find that I am a better eater when I am consistent about my exercise. Make sure to get it in!
- Make an after Thanksgiving meal walk a new family tradition.
- Plan out what you'll be putting on your plate...before you fill 'er up. Look at the whole buffet and choose your favorites first, this way there's room on your plate and in your calorie count for those foods that mean the most to you.
- Drink lots of water. It is definitely OK to have your favorite holiday drink/spirit, but make sure you include a lot of water before, during and after your meal. Not only will it keep your hands busy and away from the appetizers, but it will fill your tummy up and keep you from over eating.
What are some of your favorite tricks and tips for staying on track during the holidays? And..what are you going to include in your cheat meal on Thanksgiving?
Always ~ Momma Goose