Monday, June 25, 2012

Mellow Monday: Cheesy Chicken, Bacon & Tater Tot Bake

Good Mellow Monday to you!

Today I  re-started my jogging routine.  I usually try not to start new routines on Monday because I once read that people who start diets on a Monday are more likely to fail...but it just so happened that I woke up earlier than normal today, so I decided to utilize my free time wisely.  I must admit it was nice to be out enjoying the cool breeze, meditating with each step and starting my day with a little Momma Goose time...even on a day I try to be mellow.

I'll also admit that while I started my day on a healthy note, today's slow cooker recipe is not one of the healthiest I've ever posted.  However, with a little tweaking and a smart portion, even the dieter in me will be satisfied.  I got today's recipe through Ziplist.com, an amazing website/app that I will be blogging on later this week.  (As a side note, Ziplist.com, got the recipe from another one of my favorites, Food.com!)


Ingredients:
  • 1 (32 ounce) bag tater tots
  • 0.5 (3 ounce) jar bacon bits (I used Oscar Mayer - only 25 calories per serving)
  • 5 boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 1/2 cups grated colby cheese*
  • 1 1/2 cups grated monterey jack pepper cheese*
  • 3/4 cup milk (I used skim milk)
  • salt and pepper

*Instead of using 3 cups of cheese, I used 2.5 cups of a pre-shredded Colby Jack blend.

Directions:
  1. Grease the bottom of the crock pot.
  2. Layer 1/2 the tater tots on the bottom of the pot.
  3. Sprinkle with 1/4 of the jar of bacon bits.
  4. Combine the two cheeses, and sprinkle 1/3 of it over the bacon and tots.
  5. Top cheese with the chicken breasts.
  6. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper to taste.
  7. Top chicken with another 1/3 of cheese.
  8. Sprinkle with another 1/4 of the jar of bacon bits.
  9. Add remainder of the tater tots.
  10. Top with final 1/3 of the cheese.
  11. Pour milk over the top.
  12. Set crock pot to high and cook 3-4 hours.

Enjoy your Mellow Monday and this ooey, gooey cheesy recipe!!

Momma Goose

2 comments:

  1. is the chicken precooked?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No. Just put it all in the slow cooker and walk away...I love these kind of easy dinners! :)

    Always - Momma Goose

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you ~ leave me a comment!

~ Momma Goose