Tuesday, October 16, 2012

31 Days - Day 14

Knowing is half the battle, right?  Being aware of your health and your circumstances can literally save your life.  If I haven't been able to encourage you to discuss and figure out the status of your  breast health in the last two weeks, I am hoping that this post will do so.

Know what your breast health is.  Know what the risks are.  Know what YOUR risks are.  Know the family history of breast (or other types of) cancer.

The National Cancer Institute has a Breast Cancer Risk Assessment tool.  While there are plenty of disclaimers attached to the tool, it might be your first step in getting yourself to a doctor.

I took the assessment.  Here are my results:

5 Year Risk

This woman (age 36) 0.6%
Average woman (age 36): 0.3%


Lifetime Risk
This woman (to age 90): 18%
Average woman (to age 90): 12.5%

Good results, right?  However, as we all know - only time will tell how true these results will be.  As I am sure you wouldn't, I'm not holding my breath on these results.  I will be continuing my monthly exams, annual exams with my OB/GYN as well as doing my best to reduce my cancer risks.

How about you...what do you know about your cancer risk?

Always ~ Momma Goose




No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you ~ leave me a comment!

~ Momma Goose